If you’re like me and regularly rummage through the haberdashery drawers of your local charity shop (or if you have an industrial machine or overlocker, which I don’t, sniff…) then you will no doubt have come across supersized cones or spools of thread. I bagged a job lot of these last year (for a mere £2!) in really useful colours like cream, white, navy and black. I thought my thread needs would be sorted for the next 5 years, such was the massive volume of the stuff. I was a wee bit scuppered though when I came to use them. The holes in them were way too large for even the extended thread spool on my machine. They would just rattle around in a scary manner and come flying off. Hmmm. B*****ks! I tried sitting them in a tea cup behind my machine which kinda worked but not brilliantly….
Then the other day I had a eureka moment. It was a double whammy eureka moment in fact. (oh yes peops, value for money on this blog!) Not only did I sort out my huge thread cone
problem challenge 😉 I also found a use for one of the many empty cotton reels that I just can’t bring myself to throw out. It wedged up in the base of that cone nice and snug, which meant it now sat perfectly safely on my machine, and I was stitching away happily for the rest of the afternoon without fear of running out of thread until at least 2013…
I wish I could say the same for my bobbin thread. When oh when will I learn to check the amount of thread on my bobbin before embarking on a 2 metre hem….